Sunday, May 16, 2010

Productive Weekend

What a weekend!

Rain barrel #1 is set up. Still need to figure out where to put #2.

Started a veggie garden. So far I've planted tomatoes, cabbage, spinach, lettuce, a few Vietnamese herbs/lettuces, jalapeno, cayenne, basil, mint, thyme, and sage. I also found a strawberry plant near our garage and moved it in to this bed. Next step = raspberries!

Almost finished the extra room in our basement (aka the brother-in-law suite). I know the picture doesn't look like much, but we've put a ton of work in to this room so far:
-tore down two walls of paneling
-used hydraulic cement to waterproof foundation block
-ripped up a row of floor tile (following all Health Department guidelines of course :-)
-sealed floor tiles
-used LevelQuick to even out floor
-cleaned a zillion cobwebs off the ceiling with the shopvac
-tore about 200 nails out of the ceiling (I did this myself and surprisingly my neck doesn't hurt)
-painted remaining paneling (color is Behr almond cream)
-painted exposed brick walls with masonry waterproofing paint
-cleaned out the entryway to this room & painted the cement floor
-installed new carpet

We still need to rebuild the ledge above the blue foundation walls, put in a carpet runway in the entryway to the room, and put up some curtains. Someday we'll dig an egress window too.

This was the room at our inspection. Yes, that's a tanning bed.

And here's the room now. I know, doesn't look too impressive, but it's been a lot of work!

The carpet plan:

While Andrew and "the boys" were putting in the carpet, I went upstairs to paint the door in our living room. As soon as I was ready to do the first coat, I accidentally scraped the door with my nail and the existing paint came right off. Hmm, previous owners obviously used the wrong kind of paint. So I started scraping away. Here's a mid-scrape photo:

Busy weekend! We're loving our house a little bit more every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment